According to MATHGENERAL, Stafford, Texas is located in the heart of Fort Bend County and is about 25 miles southwest of Houston. It has a subtropical climate, with hot summers and mild winters. The average temperature in the summer is around 91 degrees Fahrenheit, with an average low of 73 degrees Fahrenheit. The city’s history dates back to 1853 when it was founded by John Corner. It was initially called “Stafford’s Point” and served as a trading post for settlers traveling along the Brazos River. As the population increased over time, Stafford eventually became incorporated in 1956.
Politically, Stafford operates under a council-manager form of government with five council members elected at-large for two-year terms. There is also an elected mayor who serves as the head of the city government and presides over council meetings. The city has a strong economy that focuses on local businesses such as retail stores, restaurants, automotive repair shops, medical facilities and other services.
The schools in Stafford are part of the Fort Bend Independent School District which serves more than 70,000 students from kindergarten through 12th grade across 81 campuses. Notable landmarks include Stafford Center (a multi-purpose event center), Jim McIngvale’s Gallery Furniture store (the largest furniture store in Texas), and Smart Financial Centre (a state-of-the-art performing arts center). There are also several parks scattered throughout the city that provide residents with plenty of recreational activities such as hiking trails, playgrounds and picnic areas.
Population: 15,681. Estimated population in July 2020: 19,227 (+22.6% change)
Males: 7,737 (49.3%), Females: 7,944 (50.7%)
Fort Bend County
Zip codes: 77477.
Median resident age: 30.7 years
Median household income: $50,323
Median house value: $100,300
Races in Stafford:
- White Non-Hispanic (35.6%)
- Hispanic (23.3%)
- Black (18.9%)
- Other race (10.5%)
- Asian Indian (7.3%)
- Two or more races (3.4%)
- Chinese (3.3%)
- Filipino (3.2%)
- Vietnamese (2.9%)
- Other Asian (2.7%)
- American Indian (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: German (7.5%), Irish (5.0%), English (4.5%), United States (3.5%), Italian (2.8%), French (2.7%).
Land area: 7.0 square miles
Stafford, Texas is a small city located in Fort Bend County, Texas. It is part of the Greater Houston metropolitan area and has a population of 17,693 according to the 2010 United States Census. The city is made up of a diverse population with 51.1% White, 22.4% African American, 0.4% Native American, 25.3% Hispanic or Latino Origin and 1.6% Asian or Pacific Islander Origin making up the majority of residents.
The median age in Stafford is 32 years old and there are slightly more females than males living in the city with 51.2% female residents compared to 48.8 % male residents. The median household income for Stafford is $53,974 and the median home value for the city was $151,300 as of 2019 estimates from Zillow Real Estate Research Center. The poverty rate for Stafford was 11%, which is lower than both the state average of 14% and national average of 11%.
Education levels in Stafford are fairly high with 93% of adults over 25 having obtained at least a high school diploma or equivalent degree and 33 % having obtained at least a Bachelor’s degree or higher level education certificate or degree. The unemployment rate for Stafford was 3%, significantly lower than both state and national averages which were 4 % and 3 .7%, respectively as per April 2020 estimates from the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
For population 25 years and over in Stafford
- High school or higher: 85.9%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 35.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.9%
- Unemployed: 4.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Stafford city
- Never married: 29.1%
- Now married: 56.4%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 3.1%
- Divorced: 9.1%
27.6% Foreign born (16.6% Asia, 8.0% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +7,494 (+91.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Stafford:
- MEMORIAL HERMANN FORT BEND HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; MISSOURI CITY, TX)
- BAYOU CITY MEDICAL CENTER (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX)
- MEMORIAL HOSPITAL SYSTEM (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Stafford:
- WILLIAM P HOBBY (about 21 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: HOU)
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 29 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 29 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Stafford:
- SUGAR LAND RGNL (about 7 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: SGR)
- HOUSTON-SOUTHWEST (about 11 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: AXH)
- FLYIN’ B (about 12 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: 39R)
Amtrak station near Stafford:
- 17 miles: HOUSTON (902 WASHINGTON AVE.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, vending machines, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Stafford:
- HOUSTON BAPTIST UNIVERSITY (about 6 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,273)
- RICE UNIVERSITY (about 12 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,158)
- UNIVERSITY OF ST THOMAS (about 15 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,541)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-UNIVERSITY PARK (about 16 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 25,479)
- TEXAS SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY (about 16 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 5,808)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-DOWNTOWN (about 17 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,236)
- HOUSTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE SYSTEM (about 17 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 21,140)
Public high school in Stafford:
- STAFFORD HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 759; Location: 1625 STAFFORDSHIRE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Stafford:
- HLA-FORT BEND H S (Students: 44; Location: 3964 BLUEBONNET; Grades: 9 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Stafford:
- STAFFORD MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 668; Location: 1625 STAFFORDSHIRE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- STAFFORD PRIMARY SCHOOL (Students: 501; Location: 1625 STAFFORDSHIRE; Grades: PK – 01)
- STAFFORD ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 457; Location: 1625 STAFFORDSHIRE; Grades: 02 – 03)
- STAFFORD INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 449; Location: 1625 STAFFORDSHIRE; Grades: 04 – 05)
- FORT BENT CO ALTER (Students: 4; Location: 1625 STAFFORDSHIRE RD; Grades: 06 – 12)
- STAFFORD ADJUSTMENT CENTER (Location: 1625 STAFFORDSHIRE; Grades: 06 – 12)
Private primary/middle schools in Stafford:
- SUGAR GROVE CHURCH OF CHRIST (Students: 230; Location: 11600 W AIRPORT BLVD; Grades: PK – 6)
- SUGAR CREEK CHILDS HSE MONT SC (Students: 175; Location: 615 DULLES AVENUE; Grades: PK – 3)