According to INTERNETSAILORS, Sour Lake, Texas is a small city located in Hardin County, about 40 miles east of Beaumont. It is situated at the base of a small hill and has a population of around 2,000 people. The geography of Sour Lake is characterized by rolling hills and lush forests. The climate in Sour Lake is typically warm and humid, with temperatures ranging from the high 70s to the mid-80s during the summer months and temperatures as low as the mid-30s during the winter months.
The city was originally founded in 1845 by settlers looking to make their mark on the area. It has since gone through many changes and developments, including being incorporated in 1966. Politically speaking, Sour Lake is represented by both Democratic and Republican elected officials at both state and local levels.
The economy of Sour Lake is largely based on oil production, with many businesses providing services related to this industry. In recent years, tourism has become increasingly important for the city’s economy as well. Schools in Sour Lake are part of Hardin-Jefferson Independent School District and include three elementary schools, one middle school, one high school and one alternative campus program for students who require extra support or have special needs.
Some landmarks that can be found around Sour Lake include the historic First United Methodist Church (which dates back to 1845) as well as several other historical sites such as the Old Courthouse Museum, which houses artifacts from Hardin County’s past. Additionally, Sour Lake City Park offers visitors plenty of outdoor activities such as fishing ponds, playgrounds and picnic areas for visitors to enjoy year-round.
Population: 1,667. Estimated population in July 2020: 1,716 (+2.9% change)
Males: 802 (48.1%), Females: 865 (51.9%)
Zip code: 77659
Median resident age: 37.8 years
Median household income: $30,300
Median house value: $48,400
Races in Sour Lake:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.6%)
- Black (3.2%)
- Hispanic (3.0%)
- Two or more races (1.3%)
- American Indian (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (15.0%), French (13.3%), Irish (10.6%), German (9.3%), English (8.6%), French Canadian (2.9%).
Elevation: 44 feet
Land area: 1.7 square miles
Sour Lake, Texas is located in Hardin County, just east of Beaumont. The population of Sour Lake, as of the 2020 Census, is 1,734 people. The population has grown steadily since the 2000 Census when it was 1,529 people. This growth can be attributed to its close proximity to Beaumont and its strong job market. The median household income in Sour Lake is $53,857 and the median age is 35 years old. The racial makeup of Sour Lake is 72.9% White, 17.1% African American, 0.3% Native American, 0.5% Asian and 8.2% other races or combinations thereof. There are also a significant number of Hispanics living in Sour Lake (24%).
The majority of the population in Sour Lake works in the oil and gas industry due to its location near Beaumont which is home to several large oil refineries and petrochemical plants that employ thousands of workers from all over Southeast Texas. Other industries that employ residents include healthcare, education and local retail businesses such as restaurants and stores selling clothing and other goods for locals and tourists alike who visit frequently during summer months due to its close proximity to the Gulf Coast beaches nearby as well as popular attractions such as Shangri La Botanical Gardens & Nature Center which offers many outdoor activities for visitors year round including camping, fishing and bird watching among many others activities for visitors to enjoy while visiting this charming small town with a big heart!
For population 25 years and over in Sour Lake
- High school or higher: 79.7%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 13.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 5.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sour Lake city
- Never married: 17.4%
- Now married: 58.9%
- Separated: 1.6%
- Widowed: 10.3%
- Divorced: 11.8%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +102 (+6.5%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Sour Lake:
- HEALTHSOUTH REHABILITATION HOSPITAL (about 17 miles; BEAUMONT, TX)
- CHRISTUS ST ELIZABETH HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; BEAUMONT, TX)
- DUBUIS HOSP OF BEAUMONT (about 20 miles; BEAUMONT, TX)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Sour Lake:
- SOUTHEAST TEXAS REGIONAL (about 30 miles; BEAUMONT/PORT ARTHUR, TX; Abbreviation: BPT)
- ELLINGTON FIELD (about 64 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: EFD)
- GEORGE BUSH INTERCONTINENTAL ARPT/HOUSTON (about 66 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Abbreviation: IAH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Sour Lake:
- BEAUMONT MUNI (about 16 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; Abbreviation: BMT)
- HAWTHORNE FIELD (about 18 miles; KOUNTZE/SILSBEE, TX; Abbreviation: 45R)
- LIBERTY MUNI (about 20 miles; LIBERTY, TX; Abbreviation: T78)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sour Lake:
- LAMAR UNIVERSITY-BEAUMONT (about 23 miles; BEAUMONT, TX; Full-time enrollment: 8,888)
- LEE COLLEGE (about 46 miles; BAYTOWN, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,099)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-NORTH CAMPUS (about 58 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,819)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-CENTRAL CAMPUS (about 62 miles; PASADENA, TX; Full-time enrollment: 6,102)
- UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON-CLEAR LAKE (about 63 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,735)
- SAN JACINTO COLLEGE-SOUTH CAMPUS (about 68 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,513)
- NORTH HARRIS MONTGOMERY COMMUNITY COLLEGE DISTRICT (about 71 miles; HOUSTON, TX; Full-time enrollment: 13,933)
Public high school in Sour Lake:
- HARDIN-JEFFERSON H S (Students: 675; Location: 520 W HERRING; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Sour Lake:
- SOUR LAKE EL (Students: 685; Location: 520 W HERRING; Grades: PK – 05)
- HENDERSON MIDDLE (Students: 502; Location: 520 W HERRING; Grades: 06 – 08)
- CHINA EL (Students: 268; Location: 520 W HERRING; Grades: PK – 03)
- HARDIN CO J J A E P (Location: 520 W HERRING; Grades: N – N )
- GULF COAST SP ED CO-OP (Location: 520 W HERRING; Grades: N – N )
Library in Sour Lake:
- ALMA M. CARPENTER PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $25,000; Location: 300 S ANN ST; 12,589 books; 511 audio materials; 609 video materials; 6 serial subscriptions)