Jennings, Oklahoma is a small town of approximately 1,000 people located in the southwestern part of the state. It is situated in the rolling hills of the Osage Hills and is surrounded by farmland and pastureland. The climate in Jennings is generally mild with warm summers and cold winters. Average temperatures range from lows of around 20°F in winter to highs of around 90°F in summer. See topbbacolleges for information about Adair County, Oklahoma.
The history of Jennings dates back to the late 1800s when it was founded by settlers from Missouri who were looking for new opportunities and land to homestead. During this time, Jennings was a thriving agricultural community with cotton being the major crop produced. Over time, as technology changed and more efficient methods of farming were introduced, cotton production declined but other crops such as corn and wheat were still grown successfully.
Politics in Jennings are generally conservative leaning but there are some progressive voices present as well. The economy is based on small business enterprises such as family-run restaurants, specialty stores, farms, ranches and oil companies.
The school system consists of one elementary school that serves students from kindergarten through eighth grade; one high school; and one technical college offering vocational training programs for adults.
Landmarks in Jennings include several historic buildings such as a church built in 1895 that still stands today; an old opera house dating back to 1910; a former railroad depot that now houses an art gallery; and several other historical buildings that are open to visitors throughout the year. There are also several parks located within town limits including Lakeview Park which features a large lake for fishing, swimming, boating or just relaxing on its shoreline.
Population: 373. Estimated population in July 2020: 382 (+2.4% change)
Males: 175 (46.9%), Females: 198 (53.1%)
Zip code: 74038
Median resident age: 34.6 years
Median household income: $31,563
Median house value: $36,700
Races in Jennings:
- White Non-Hispanic (84.5%)
- American Indian (14.2%)
- Two or more races (3.2%)
Ancestries: Irish (18.0%), German (12.9%), United States (9.4%), English (7.0%), Dutch (3.8%), Scotch-Irish (3.2%).
Elevation: 932 feet
Land area: 0.6 square miles
Jennings, Oklahoma is a small town located in the southwestern part of the state. As of the 2020 census, it had a population of 842 people. The median age was 38 years old, with a median household income of $35,193 and a poverty rate of 17.6%.
The cost of living in Jennings is relatively low compared to larger cities in Oklahoma and other states. The median home value is $68,800 and the median rent is $573 per month. This makes Jennings an affordable place to live for those who are looking for an area with lower costs than what they would find in more populated areas. Additionally, there are no state income taxes in Oklahoma which further helps to keep overall costs down.
In terms of amenities, Jennings has a few restaurants, several convenience stores and gas stations, two churches, and two schools – one elementary school and one middle school – as well as several parks and recreational areas for residents to enjoy year-round. It also has access to medical facilities for residents who need them. There are also several local shops where residents can buy essential goods and services at reasonable prices.
For population 25 years and over in Jennings
- High school or higher: 73.1%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 3.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 6.1%
- Mean travel time to work: 37.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Jennings town
- Never married: 16.2%
- Now married: 65.2%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 5.2%
- Divorced: 10.7%
0.0% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -8 (-2.1%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Jennings:
- CLEVELAND AREA HOSPITAL, INC (about 14 miles; CLEVELAND, OK)
- PAWNEE MUNICIPAL HOSPITAL (about 19 miles; PAWNEE, OK)
- CUSHING MUNICIPAL HOSPITAL (about 20 miles; CUSHING, OK)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Jennings:
- STILLWATER RGNL (about 36 miles; STILLWATER, OK; Abbreviation: SWO)
- TULSA INTL (about 48 miles; TULSA, OK; Abbreviation: TUL)
- TINKER AFB (about 78 miles; OKLAHOMA CITY, OK; Abbreviation: TIK)
Other public-use airports nearest to Jennings:
- CLEVELAND MUNI (about 11 miles; CLEVELAND, OK; Abbreviation: 95F)
- KEYSTONE AIR PARK (about 17 miles; WESTPORT, OK; Abbreviation: 4F1)
- PAWNEE MUNI (about 22 miles; PAWNEE, OK; Abbreviation: H97)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Jennings:
- OKLAHOMA STATE UNIVERSITY-MAIN CAMPUS (about 30 miles; STILLWATER, OK; Full-time enrollment: 16,937)
- UNIVERSITY OF TULSA (about 43 miles; TULSA, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,760)
- ORAL ROBERTS UNIVERSITY (about 44 miles; TULSA, OK; Full-time enrollment: 3,309)
- TULSA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 45 miles; TULSA, OK; Full-time enrollment: 8,727)
- LANGSTON UNIVERSITY (about 51 miles; LANGSTON, OK; Full-time enrollment: 2,324)
- COWLEY COUNTY COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 69 miles; ARKANSAS CITY, KS; Full-time enrollment: 2,392)
- UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL OKLAHOMA (about 70 miles; EDMOND, OK; Full-time enrollment: 10,926)
Private high school in Jennings:
- VICTORY CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 20; Location: BOX 99; Grades: KG – 12)
Public primary/middle school in Jennings:
- JENNINGS ES (Students: 154; Location: 523 N OAK ST; Grades: PK – 08)