Coquille, Oregon is a small city located in Coos County in the southwestern corner of the state. It has a population of 3,935 as of 2019, according to the US Census Bureau. The city’s geography is mostly flat with some rolling hills and is situated between two rivers: the Coquille River and Millicoma River. It is an area known for its forests and large amounts of rainfall. The climate in Coquille is classified as a temperate rainforest climate, which means it experiences mild summers and relatively wet winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in Oregon.
The history of Coquille dates back to 1851 when it was first settled by French-Canadian fur trappers and lumberjacks. Since then, the city has been part of various political entities including Oregon Territory, Washington County and finally Coos County in 1853. In terms of politics, Coquille is part of Oregon’s 4th Congressional District which has been represented by Peter DeFazio since 1987. The economy in Coquille is driven primarily by agriculture and timber production as well as tourism due to its natural beauty.
The city also has several schools including an elementary school (K-4) called Coquille Elementary School, a middle school (5-8) called Central Middle School, and a high school (9-12) called Coquille High School. All three schools are part of the North Bend School District which serves students from both Coos Bay and North Bend areas.
As far as landmarks go, there are several notable ones scattered throughout the city such as Old Town Hall (built in 1894), City Hall (built in 1909), Pioneer Museum (built in 1912), City Park (originally developed in 1913), Siuslaw National Forest (established 1909), Boice Cope Park (opened 1964), South Slough National Estuarine Research Reserve (established 1974), Cape Arago Lighthouse State Park (established 1936). Each landmark offers visitors unique insight into local history or stunning views of nature .
Population: 4,184. Estimated population in July 2020: 4,254 (+1.7% change)
Males: 2,031 (48.5%), Females: 2,153 (51.5%)
Zip code: 97423
Median resident age: 41.4 years
Median household income: $29,931
Median house value: $86,300
Races in Coquille:
- White Non-Hispanic (90.4%)
- American Indian (4.2%)
- Hispanic (4.1%)
- Two or more races (3.0%)
- Other race (1.6%)
- Black (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (20.3%), English (17.0%), Irish (12.7%), United States (9.2%), Norwegian (5.5%), French (3.2%).
Elevation: 50 feet
Land area: 2.7 square miles
Coquille, Oregon is a small city located in the Coos County of Oregon. It has a population of approximately 3,500 people according to the 2019 U.S. Census. The median age is 38 years old with an average household size of 2.6 people. The population is diverse, with white non-Hispanic or Latino residents making up 75% of the population and Hispanic or Latino residents making up 11%. The median household income for Coquille is $42,834, which is slightly lower than the national average of $57,652.
The cost of living in Coquille is lower than that of many other cities in Oregon and across the United States due to its relatively small size and rural location. According to Numbeo’s Cost of Living Index, Coquille has a cost index score of 59 out of 100 compared to Portland’s score of 77 out 100 and the national average score 73 out 100. This means that living expenses such as housing costs are significantly lower than those found in larger cities like Portland and Seattle but higher than smaller towns like Medford or Grants Pass. Rent prices in Coquille range from $600-$900 per month for a one-bedroom apartment while rent for a three-bedroom apartment ranges from $1,200-$1,500 per month depending on location and features included in the unit. Grocery costs are also lower than those found in larger cities with food items costing an average 10% less than national averages according to Numbeo’s Cost Of Living Index data for 2019-2020.
For population 25 years and over in Coquille
- High school or higher: 77.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 11.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 10.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Coquille city
- Never married: 15.6%
- Now married: 63.4%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 9.4%
2.4% Foreign born (1.0% Latin America, 0.8% Europe, 0.4% Asia).
Population change in the 1990s: +45 (+1.1%).
Hospital/medical center in Coquille:
- COQUILLE VALLEY HOSPITAL (940 EAST 5TH STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Coquille:
- BAY AREA HOSPITAL (about 13 miles; COOS BAY, OR)
- SOUTHERN COOS GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 16 miles; BANDON, OR)
- LOWER UMPQUA HOSPITAL (about 38 miles; REEDSPORT, OR)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Coquille:
- NORTH BEND MUNI (about 17 miles; NORTH BEND, OR; Abbreviation: OTH)
- MAHLON SWEET FIELD (about 94 miles; EUGENE, OR; Abbreviation: EUG)
- NEWPORT MUNI (about 96 miles; NEWPORT, OR; Abbreviation: ONP)
Other public-use airports nearest to Coquille:
- BANDON STATE (about 17 miles; BANDON, OR; Abbreviation: S05)
- POWERS (about 24 miles; POWERS, OR; Abbreviation: 6S6)
- LAKESIDE STATE (about 27 miles; LAKESIDE, OR; Abbreviation: 9S3)
Amtrak station near Coquille:
- 13 miles: COOS BAY (BUS STATION, 275 N. BROADWAY) – Bus Station. Services: public restrooms, public payphones.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Coquille:
- ROGUE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 79 miles; GRANTS PASS, OR; Full-time enrollment: 2,289)
- LANE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 93 miles; EUGENE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 5,853)
- UNIVERSITY OF OREGON (about 99 miles; EUGENE, OR; Full-time enrollment: 16,239)
- OREGON STATE UNIVERSITY (about 115 miles; CORVALLIS, OR; Full-time enrollment: 15,404)
- LINN-BENTON COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 126 miles; ALBANY, OR; Full-time enrollment: 3,057)
- WESTERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 127 miles; MONMOUTH, OR; Full-time enrollment: 4,209)
- SOUTHERN OREGON UNIVERSITY (about 129 miles; ASHLAND, OR; Full-time enrollment: 4,424)
Public high school in Coquille:
- COQUILLE HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 353; Location: 499 W CENTRAL BLVD; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Coquille:
- LINCOLN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 272; Location: 1366 N GOULD ST; Grades: KG – 03)
- COQUILLE VALLEY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 263; Location: 1115 N BAXTER ST; Grades: 06 – 08)
- COQUILLE VALLEY INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 134; Location: 1115 N BAXTER ST; Grades: 04 – 05)
Library in Coquille:
- COQUILLE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $218,220; Location: 105 N. BIRCH ST.; 28,049 books; 400 audio materials; 1,101 video materials; 130 serial subscriptions)